2D work: The Villain's castle development

 The Villian's Castle 

When starting the villain's castle I began by considering medieval castles and how I could create a sinister look. I used the medieval castle I reviewed in the city center as a visual reference as well as the architecture found in ancient history. I made light sketches which can be seen below before moving on to the final digital piece on Procreate. 

Below are the medieval castles I used as references:


I took note of the round shapes present in the structure of the castle.


Analyzing the land as well, helped me with my diorama as well as my this piece.



Below are the sketches and development that followed: 


Above is a light sketch I made based on visual references from medieval castles I have looked at. Really just trying to understand their structure and basic shape.


Above is the larger castle drawing I made which I was much more pleased with as it was more comprehensive detailed and unique. I decided to add some curves at the top to represent the moon and darkness as a moon crescent as this is the villain's castle and this way it is more sinister. 


After which I transferred to procreate and drew a basic outline of the same structure and shape but with improvements and refined lines in the castle. 

I then added a base color to the castle but with a darker shade of blue at the bottom near the entrance to represent the sinister danger that it causes on the player. 

I then added some texture using a rough brush that was available on Procreate which created life and a rough old building feel. 


Afterward, I added more detail and also added lighting in the arc entrances to represent life in the castle as if the lights were switched on similar to how Dimitrov did in his water fantasy piece which I had analyzed earlier. 

I added more detail and color to the castle. 


I then added a darker foreground for the lower part of the castle to emphasize my earlier idea of danger as you enter. 


After this, I added seaweed and plants as well as fish to represent marine life. 


Then I added corals in dark green tones to represent the evil as well s adding waves and bubbles and light seeping in from the surface like my other pieces to bring the piece together and create a more watery effect. 



Final piece reflection: I believe this is an interesting castle and a unique one as I aimed, it also represents darkness and evil well I believe while having a sinister look. I believe I have learned structure and development well throughout this term for this piece. For fixing I think the pink seaweed is too bright and doesn't fit the dark theme so I will change that color before uploading that to my Portfolio. 



Reference List: 

Concept art featuring fantasy castle in the Middle Ages. medieval digital inspiration of a large fort among mountains with a city below. olden and scenic city in Middle Earth.. Generative AI (no date) Nikkel. Available at: https://www.nikkel-art.co.uk/canvas-prints-1051-fantasy-landscape-567258258-concept-art-featuring-fantasy-castle-in-the-middle-ages-medieval-digital-inspiration-of-a-large-fort-among-mountains-with-a-city.html (Accessed: 06 June 2023).

A history of castles in the Arts (no date) Castellogy. Available at: https://castellogy.com/resources/arts (Accessed: 06 June 2023).

Mediastorehouse (no date) Prints of medieval castle, Media Storehouse Photo Prints. Available at: https://www.mediastorehouse.co.uk/north-wind-picture-archives/european-history/medieval-castle-5880535.html (Accessed: 06 June 2023).











Comments

  1. As in the previous post, include an example of visual reference - you took the books out of the library on British castles - see if you can find anything in that book that can link to what you are doing here as a visual reference.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts